Thank you for clicking the link to my blog!
I had been craving something different as usual and thought to share the experience with you.
When I first created this recipe, I used tinned Red Kidney Beans; it came out tasty, however, I highly recommend using raw Red Kidney Beans. It is a much longer cooking process compared to using a tinned product but the final result is true to the expected colour and flavorsome.
So here we are, my recipe for Rice and Peas
Meal Prep: 50 mins
Cooking Time: 30 – 45 mins
*US cup size (240 ml = 240 grams)
- 1 cup* of Raw Kidney Beans
- 4 cups* of Long Grain easy cook rice
- 2 cups* of Coconut Milk
- 2 Spring Onions
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 Scotch Bonnet
- 1 Bay leaf
- Seasoning: Salt, Thyme, Black Pepper, Ground Pimento and Knorr Chicken Cubes (optional)
- Plantain (optional but essential)
- In a large pot, add 1 cup* of Red Kidney Beans, 6 cups* of Water, 1 clove of Garlic, 1 tsp of Black Pepper and cook on medium-high heat for 50 mins. (Tip: add a cup* of water to the cooking mixture every 15 mins to sink the beans)
- The beans are fully cooked when they can easily be pierced with a fork or the tip of your finger. (see slideshow)
- Once the beans are fully cooked, remove the clove of Garlic from the cooking mixture and add another clove of Garlic, 1 tsp of Thyme, 1 tsp of Salt, 1 tsp of Ground Pimento, 1 whole Scotch Bonnet, 2 flattened Spring Onions, 1 Bay leaf, 2 cups of Coconut Milk, 1 Knorr Chicken cube (optional) and stir into the cooking beans mixture, reducing the heat to medium.
- Next, rinse 4 cups* of Long Grain easy cook Rice in warm water, drain, add to the cooking mixture, stir in 5 cups* of water, cover with foil paper and leave to cook for 15 – 20 mins on medium heat.
- The rice and peas dish is fully cooked when the rice is soft and can easily be pierced with the tip of your finger.
- Remove the clove of Garlic, Scotch Bonnet, Spring Onions, mix the rice and peas thoroughly and serve.
You can serve it on its own or with Fried Plantain, Mixed Vegetables or Salad as a tasty Vegan option. I chose to serve it with Grilled Spicy Pork Belly, Fried Plantain and a simple crunchy salad; it turned out truly worth the wait, very filling and bursting with flavor. I hope you try out this recipe as it turned out delicious. If you do, please share and tag #RikiCooks on social media. If you need any help or further tips for this recipe, please leave a comment below or message me on Instagram at RikiCooks.