Thank you for clicking the link to my blog!
Simply put, I woke up craving freshly made cake, and after surfing around my kitchen for ingredients; I decided to use my leftover oranges and sprinted to the shop for butter.
So here we are, my recipe for Orange and Cinnamon cake.
Makes 8 – 12 slices
Prep: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- 200 ml (1 cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 200 grams plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150 grams granulated sugar
- 200 grams unsalted softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Grease a loaf tin with margarine/butter and dust with flour. (I don’t have one so I used a normal baking dish and lined it with greaseproof paper and butter)
- Using an electric mixer (you can mix manually i.e. by hand, it is a long process but if you choose it, I suggest you mix the batter in one direction – a tip from my Grandma), beat on medium speed the butter and sugar until the batter is a well mixed grainy mixture.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and set the whites aside, adding the egg yolks to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Add the orange juice, the orange zest, vanilla essence and milk to the batter and mix on medium speed until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat the egg whites using the electric mixer on high speed until you get a foamy mixture and add to the batter, switch to a spatula and fold the egg mixture into the batter until it’s nicely mixed together.
- Fold the flour, baking powder, nutmeg powder and cinnamon into the batter and mix until the batter is creamy and thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (I used a pen knife to check), this took about 40 minutes with my oven.
- Once ready, turn off the oven and unmold the cake. Let cool to room temperature and serve.
You can have it on its own or for a more pleasurable experience, warm custard never goes wrong. I also chose to dust the cake with icing sugar, zest, and white chocolate flakes.
I hope you try out this recipe as it turned out delicious and fun to make. If you need any help or further tips for this recipe, please leave a comment below or email me at email@example.com.
Follow RikiCooks on the gram to see related videos.